Gynecology & Laparoscopic Surgeons, PC looks forward to helping you “improve your life” by providing you with the highest standards in quality medical and surgical care. GLSI offers adult annual exams in Raleigh, NC and surrounding areas.
The current recommendation for annual Pap smear screening by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists is as follows:
“ACOG recommends that most patients get screened for cervical cancer every 3 to 5 years. Principal recommendations include:
- Women between ages 21 and 65 without risk factors (such as DES exposure or immunodeficiency) should undergo Pap screening every 3 years.
- Those aged 30 to 65 wishing to extend the screening interval could undergo screening with both Pap exam and human papillomavirus (HPV) testing every 5 years.
- Women younger than 21 should not be screened.
- Women older than 65 who have been adequately screened previously should not be screened.
All women should still see their doctor annually for other routine screenings and preventive care.” Yearly visits include screening, evaluation, counseling, and immunizations.
Mammography should be performed every 1-2 years for women 40-49 years of age and then annually thereafter. Currently, there are no effective techniques available for ovarian cancer or endometrial cancer screening. The recommendation for colon cancer screening beginning at age 50 years is to select one of the following:
- Yearly fecal occult blood testing plus flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years
- Colonoscopy every 10 years
- Double contrast barium enema every 5-10 years
Please be prepared to give a complete past medical, obstetrical, family, social and surgical history as well as current medications and allergies at your first visit.
For more information about adult annual exams and other services Gynecology and Laparoscopic Surgeons, PC provide, CONTACT US at our Raleigh, NC office.